Tuesday, June 12, 2007

retreat & stagnation


33. Retreat

th JUDGMENT:
Retreat. Success.
In what is small, perseverance furthers.

th IMAGE:
Mountain under heaven: th image of retreat.
Thus th superior man keeps th inferior man at a distance,
Not angrily but with reserve.

Nine in th third place means:
A halted retreat
Is nerve-wracking & dangerous.
To retain people as men- & maidservants
Brings good fortune.


12. Standstill (Stagnation)

th JUDGMENT:
Standstill. Evil people do not further
Th perseverance of th superior man.
Th great departs; th small approaches.

th IMAGE:
Heaven & earth do not unite:
Th image of standstill.
Thus th superior man falls back upon his inner worth
In order to escape th difficulties.
He does not permit himself to be honored with revenue.

Six in th third place means:
They bear shame.


Thus will my day unfold. Not surprising. I've got some interpersonal conflict going on with a 10-year-old right now. Not wanting to make things worse, & having done enough, I have already chosen to retreat (from conflict, but stand firm in convictions). I'd like a resolution soon, but knowing th stubbornness of th parties involved, standstill & stagnation seems more likely. Oy vey.

No news on a job. Started (re)reading Ulysses for Eric's & my two-man long-distance book club this morn.

~a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that is spooky!!! I think you've tapped into something, Andrew! FNORD

Andrew Aaron Heathwaite said...

Aye: I've tapped into th ability to spin random fortunes into stories about my life. A good mystic could probably receive any two hexagrams at random & make beautiful spooky sense out of them no matter what (arguably, that's exactly what they do). I remain skeptical, especially considering that most of my fortunes leave me scratching my head at th end of th day still. No worries. I enjoy it. & who knows: maybe things will start getting really spooky soon.