Friday, June 15, 2007

bright-ruling ninny noodles

Today's cryptic Finnegans Fortune - from page 520:

Will you swear or affirm the day to yur second sight noo and recant that all yu affirmed to profetised at first sight for his southerly accent was all paddyflaherty?


A pushy request to disregard, recant "first sight" in favor of "second sight." I am told to officially state that all that I profetised (similar to prophesied?) is "paddyflaherty." But what is paddyflaherty?

A name. A pub.

Pad·dy (pād'ē)
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person, especially a man, of Irish birth or descent.

...–noun, plural -dies.
1. a rice field.
2. rice, esp. in the husk, either uncut or gathered.


Flaherty
Ir. Flaithbheartach, lit. "Bright-Ruler."


Also, Flaherty is a common Irish surname; in fact, my smiteful friend Ameh is a Flaherty.

So I am instructed to claim that my "first sight" (noo?) is derogatory Irish alcoholic bright-ruling rice linked in some way to my smiteful friend Ameh. This doesn't seem so bad. I like Ameh, rice, alcohol, etc. I claim that my first sight is indeed paddyflaherty of th highest order!

Noo?

Maybe Joyce refers to Ninny Noodle Noo, a toy company (that had probably not existed yet) "stocking heirloom quality Ostheimer toy figures for children and adult collectors; high quality wooden role-play and traditional toys; stylish children's clothes in the softest certified organic cotton and organic toiletries."

That must be it! I hereby "affirm the day to [my] second sight noo." With noodles.

1 comment:

dottyspots said...

Thank you for the link :)

My business name actually came from a play on my daughter's name (it's what I called her when she was a baby).

My brain isn't properly in gear for the verse, definetely something I need to come back to when I'm more awake :)