Friday, January 6, 2006

Grind OM 18 / Jim & Nim

I played another set at the Daily Grind. The highlight for me was performing with a fellow I know named Jim, a poet. It all started when he said something to me like, "Hey, Andrew, after this next guy, I'm going up to read some poetry; would you like to come and play something with me?" I said yes. It was fun. We will probably do it again sometime. Jim & Nim.

my solo set:

.. call it Home
.. shirt thane > member of the Real*
.. I am systems > you and mandolins
.. science [request]

*I don't often play member of the Real. It has a chorus, but no specific verse. This is intentional. It means I have to create something basically from scratch for each verse. It's a very loose structure around some improv. Sometimes it goes well, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know of anybody other than me who enjoys hearing it, but I want to continue developing the completely-on-the-spot-from-scratch improv thing, so it makes sense to sometimes play it**.

**Split your infinitives! All the time!

No comments: