Sunday, October 9, 2005

Ale House (and Illium Show 3)

It was an interesting day for Nodal Nim. I had a relatively depressing and pointless gig at the Illium, in which I played for two and a half hours to entertain approximately no one (including myself) just to make $23. I wanted to leave many times, but I kept playing. I was sick of the mandolin, sick of my songs, and sick of no audience. I am not going to bother recording this set list. Nobody cares, especially not me.

But I had another show to go to after that, at the Ale House on River Street, where a bunch of local musicians were playing 25 minutes sets back to back. I went on at 10, and it was a lot of fun! I had a good time playing some of my favorite tunes for an actual audience, many of whom had never heard me before, and I sold two CDs!

Here is my set list:

.. in my pocket
.. stripes
.. Robots: the card game [request]
.. Pablo
.. lapse into memory [request]
.. 5 songs of fish
.. 25% more monster > vegetables you've never heard of

=

I've been experimenting with effects pedals. Although it seems to sound great in my own house, I've had only dismal failures in trying to work it in the outside world. Although I will probably try to find a way to work them into Panic Dots, there's no need for them in Nodal Nim.

=

I've been frustrated by not having any new songs in a while. The last new song I wrote was the theme song to Nodal Nim's Rocket Ship, and before that, 5 songs of fish. I think both of those are good songs, which is nice, but I'd like to be writing songs more frequently. I'm sick of performing the same stuff all the time. I'm hoping to write a song or two this week, even if it means skipping some open mics.

No comments: